The base of the kanafeh recipe is fresh cheese and kadayif or kataifi, it is a type of very fine noodle like vermecelli. In a traditional recipe, the sweetness comes from Sugar Syrup which is poured over the top, however we believe that one should never compromise on health in favour of taste.
Acacia Honey is a healthy (and tasty) alternative to Sugar Syrup in the preparation of Kunafa. The taste of Acacia Honey is light and floral, the mildness of this honey does not overpower the taste of the food, which makes it a perfect substitute for white sugar in desserts, cakes and tea.
- Acacia Honey 250g
Ingredients for Filling:
- Kunafa dough (vermecelli) – 150g
- Butter – 50g
- Orange food color – as required
- Ricotta cheese – 200g
- Mozzarella cheese – 250g
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 15g
- Pistachios – 1/4 cup
- To make a healthy sweet syrup, gently heat 250g of our fresh Acacia Honey in a bowl. Gently warming the honey makes it thinner and easy to pour!
- Now take a cake pan and grease it with butter and a bit of food colour. Set aside.
- Melt butter and add to the kunafa dough (vermecelli). Mix well.
- For the filling, take ricotta cheese and mix with 1 tbsp of sugar. Mix well.
- Add the dough (vermecelli) to the greased pan and make sure to fill every corner. Press down on the dough (vermecelli) when necessary.
- Now add the ricotta cheese filling.
- Add mozzarella cheese on top.
- Press down with butter paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Turn the kunafa upside down and pour lightly warmed Acacia Honey. Let is soak for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add pistachios on top.
- Serve and enjoy!