NECTAR SOURCE: Buckwheat Flowers only.
CONSISTENCY: Smooth and Thick.
COLOUR: Dark brown with a reddish tinge.
TASTE: Earthy, with notes of malt, chocolate and black cherries.
PROPERTIES: Buckwheat honey is rich in antioxidants, has been shown to soothe cough, and to rival Manuka honey for its antibacterial activity.
Buckwheat is neither a grass nor wheat, but is a fruit related to rhubarb. Buckwheat has tiny flowers, which means bees that make buckwheat honey have to work extra hard to collect enough nectar. When a buckwheat field blooms in late summer, the white flowers dance with bees!
Buckwheat honey isn’t as sweet as traditional honey. It’s also higher in certain antioxidants, so it might actually be better for you than other, sweeter types of honey. Buckwheat is rich in vitamins and is considered a very healthy food, so it makes sense that honey made from buckwheat would also be good for you.
The primary benefits of buckwheat honey are that it promotes healing in the body, supports immune function, and boosts antioxidants. It’s also great for soothing sore throats and coughs. Some people even use honey as a part of their skin care regimen. Buckwheat honey has also been found to help keep blood sugar levels down for people with diabetes.
What the research says
Many studies have shown the benefits of honey. Buckwheat honey, in particular, has been shown to have several health benefits, such as:
- Boosting antioxidants. One study found that drinking buckwheat honey in a mixture of black tea significantly boosted the level of antioxidants in the body. Another study placed buckwheat honey very high in antioxidant status in a ranking of honeys on the market.
- Wound care. Using honey on wounds has been found to be beneficial because the honey actually draws moisture out of the wounds and helps eliminate bacteria. Because it has a lot of sugar and a low pH, honey can also prevent bacteria and other microbes from growing in the wound.
- Skin care. More research is needed on the specific benefits of using honey for skin care. But in general, honey is known to help protect your skin and keep it smooth and supple. Look for honey-based skin care products, or make your own skin moisturizer by mixing coconut oil and honey in your electric mixer until it looks like whipped cream.
- Stopping DNA mutations. Certain types of honey have even been found to help reverse some of the DNA mutations that cause sickness and cancer.
- Reducing cholesterol. Buckwheat honey was found to help reduce cholesterol levels in the blood, which can help heart health and even lower high blood pressure.
- Soothing cough. One study specifically looked at using buckwheat honey as a treatment for nighttime coughs in children due to respiratory infections, like colds. The study found that buckwheat honey was more effective than over-the-counter cough medicine.
All our honey is 100% Raw and Cold-Extracted. We work very closely with our beekeepers to ensure that each time you order, you receive genuine honey and same quality as found in a beehive.
Question: How do you tell that Sidr Honey is from Sidr Flowers?
Answer: Each honey contains unique flower pollen. We check our batches of honey under a high strength microscope to check for Sidr Pollen. If a batch of honey contains more than 80% Pollen of Sidr Flower Pollen, it is labelled as Sidr Honey. This experiment is called Pollen Analyses. Each flower of honey (for example, Acacia Honey, Orange Blossom Honey, Robinia Honey, etc.) goes through Pollen Analyses. This is one experiment part of 14 different experiments we do to check the purity and authenticity of our honey.
Honey is harvested by our trained and certified beekeepers under our supervision and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) of International Standards.
We are Dubai Food Muncipality's approved brand.
Once harvested, honey samples are sent to Honey Research Institute operating under NARC.
A second batch of samples is sent to our internal laboratory which is registered with PSQC. In our state of the art laboratory, we check honey of adulteration through various tests, such as:
- Electrical Conductivity
- Ash Test at 600C
- Thermal Stability Test
- Glucose and Fructose Test
- Pollen Density Test
- HMF Test
- Sucrose Adulteration Test
We carry out these tests and prepare reports as per the SOPs of Quality Services International (Germany) requirements. Our test reports are accepted worldwide for an accuracy up to 3 decimal places.
Before packaging, we randomly send our batches to Quality Services International (Germany) Laboratory and National Food Lab (UAE).
We also spend a lot of time, effort and resources towards training and development of our beekeepers to International Standards. All our beekeepers are certified from our training academy. This is why, each time you order, we guarantee you a quality which is second to none.